Nervousness. Butterflies. Fear. Excitement. More nervousness. More excitement. A clearing of the throat. A drink of water. You review your notes one last time.
And now it’s time.
We’ve all been through job interviews of various forms: in person, over the phone, group interviews, second interviews, third interviews, fourth interviews… They’re all relatively stressful. Most of y’all have probably heard tips on interviewing well – eye contact, clear speech, show up early, etc… – but I’d like to suggest some other things outside the box to improve your interview.
1. Get a haircut! Interviews are so much better when we feel confident in them. Who doesn’t feel amazing after a suave or sexy haircut?
2. Eat an apple (before). Apples restore the pH balance of the throat and help keep the vocal chords clean and smooth for all of that confident communicating you’ll be doing in your interview.
3. Sing your favorite song loudly in the car on your way to the interview. Yes, seriously. Mood and attitude will play major factors in how well the interview goes – so have some fun and de-stress yourself!
4. Smile. Do you really want this job? Are you sure? Well, don’t just talk about it – show it!
5. Make your interviewer smile. As a person who manages upwards of 50 employees, I can tell you that I want people on my team who are pleasant and fun to be around and whose happiness is contagious to the team. A sense of humor and genuine enjoyment of others goes very far with most future bosses.
What do you think? Are there a few more that I missed?