I’m going to begin a new feature called “5 questions with…” where different folks will be asked about leadership experiences they’ve witnessed or experienced. The questions will be the same; the people will not. Some people may be managers whereas others may have simply worked under leaders. Either way, we can all learn a lot by having a conversation together. So here goes!
Name: Kat Cavanaugh
Location: Orland Park, IL
Position/Job: Nurse’s Assistant by day/Hair Stylist by night
1. Think back to when you were extremely motivated by a boss, leader, or teammate. What did they say or do that motivated you so much and why did it work?
They focused on the things I was doing well and was sure to compliment me so I kept doing a good job.
2. When have you been very unmotivated by a boss, leader, or teammate? Why did it create a feeling of un-motivation to do your job better?
I was unmotivated when my boss was negative and didn’t display what she wanted out of the other employees.
3. What is one characteristic you look for in an effective leader?
A positive attitude
4. When have you motivated another person to better themselves or to be more productive in their job?
Everyday I motivate my workout partner to not give up.
5. What is one piece of advice you’d give towards aspiring leaders?
Have a good attitude and smile, it goes a long way.